After trailing the field of eight through a half-mile, Thomas Conway's General Jumbo rallied four-wide and then held off a determined Fri Guy to win the Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. III) by a half-length in Kentucky Downs' 1 1/2-mile feature event Sept. 22.
Rush Bay gamely fought off a late bid from Last Answer to win the inaugural $301,200 Nijinsky Stakes (Can-II) in an upset by a diminishing neck Sunday at Woodbine.
Gun Salute got up by a whisker in Saturday's $250,000 American Derby (gr. IIT) on Arlington Park's turf course, handing the even-money favorite Purim his first loss in four starts.
Unbeaten Purim, 2 1/2-length winner of the Arlington Classic (gr. IIIT) July 2, puts his three-race win streak on the line against seven rivals in the $250,000 American Derby (gr. IIT) for 3-year-olds on the Arlington Park turf Saturday.
Undefeated Declan's Moon, who returned from his smasher in the Del Mar Futurity (gr. II) to take last month's Hollywood Prevue (gr. III), is expected to be accorded favoritism among eight entrants in the $449,500 Hollywood Futurity (gr. I) Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Mastery Passes Two-Turn Test in Futurity
- Abel Tasman Upsets American Gal in Starlet
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Bode's Dream Perfect in House Party
- Paulassilverlining Golden in Garland of Roses
- Greatbullsoffire Runs Away With MD Futurity
- Mobile Bay Turns Tables in LA Classic
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight
- Keane Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees