An ugly, rainy morning, and no Kentucky Derby (gr. I) works made for a funky Friday. The Derby lost one prospective starter when it was announced General John B will not run due to a tendon injury to his left front leg. On the jockey front was the announcement that Pat Valenzuela will ride Coolmore Lexington (gr. II) winner Coin Silver.
Trainer Jeff Mullins became the first trainer to win three consecutive editions of the Santa Anita Derby when his 30-1 outsider Buzzards Bay registered a gutty score by a half-length over 64-1 shot General John B Saturday.
Champion Sweet Catomine was put through her final prep before she faces the boys for the first time in Saturday's $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), topping a Southen California work tab that included several of her rivals.
Ogden Mills Phipps' Defer will face a two-turn test against a field of 10 other sophomores entered in Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park, the final major prep for the $ 1-million Florida Derby (gr. I) April 2.
A muddy track was just what General John B ordered as he ground to a front-running six-length victory in the $100,000 Turf Paradise Derby for 3-year-olds Saturday in Phoenix.
D. Wayne Lukas-trained Going Wild held off So Long Birdie by a nose in a driving finish to win the $104,762 San Miguel Stakes (gr. III) on the Martin Luther King Jr. Day card at Santa Anita.
Maiden winner Going Wild, a $600,000 Kentucky-bred son of Golden Missile, goes for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas in the $100,000 San Miguel Stakes for 3-year-olds at six furlongs at Santa Anita Park on Monday.
Graded stakes winner Sweetsouthernsaint was represented by his first winner when John Prete's homebred General John B won June 12 by eight lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Page McKenney Does it Again at Laurel Park
- First Foal Arrives for Gainesway's Karakontie
- Finest City Dazzles in Santa Monica
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Classic Empire On Track for Holy Bull
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Pegasus Workers Drill Across Florida
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner