Dr. Jacquelyn (Jackie) Rich was elected president of the Texas Thoroughbred Association. The board also elected three other new officers: Mark Cornett, first vice president; Dr. Ken Quirk, second vice president; and Sherry Raska, secretary-treasurer. John Adger, Bill Clifton, and Gene Palmieri were chosen to fill at-large positions on the executive committee.
Larry Smith, the owner and operator of Hidden Valley Thoroughbreds in Pilot Point, Texas, was re-elected to serve a third term as the president of the Texas Thoroughbred Association during the TTA annual conference and awards banquet, which was held at the Horseshoe Bay Resort Marriott July 21-22.
Helen Kleberg Groves, whose family owned the world-famous King Ranch, will receive the T. I. "Pops" Harkins Award from the Texas Thoroughbred Association during the TTA's 50th anniversary celebration and annual conference June 23-25 at the Horseshoe Bay Resort Marriott in Marble Falls, Texas.
Because of his extensive efforts in mobilizing Texas Thoroughbred Association members in a grassroots campaign to legalize video lottery terminals (VLTs) at Texas racetracks, Gene Palmieri has been selected as the recipient of the 2005 Allen Bogan Memorial Award as TTA member of the year.
WinStar Farm co-owner Bill Casner was elected to a three-year at-large term on the Texas Thoroughbred Association Board of Directors.
A storm that whipped through Medina County, Texas, the evening of March 19 killed five horses and destroyed three barns at Gene and Judy Palmieri's Silver Spur Ranch located about a half-hour southwest of San Antonio.
Most Popular Stories
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- Competitive Group Entered for Smarty Jones
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon
- Barretts October Yearling Catalog Available
- Micromanage Set for Another Distance Test
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act