Dr. Jacquelyn (Jackie) Rich was elected president of the Texas Thoroughbred Association. The board also elected three other new officers: Mark Cornett, first vice president; Dr. Ken Quirk, second vice president; and Sherry Raska, secretary-treasurer. John Adger, Bill Clifton, and Gene Palmieri were chosen to fill at-large positions on the executive committee.
Larry Smith, the owner and operator of Hidden Valley Thoroughbreds in Pilot Point, Texas, was re-elected to serve a third term as the president of the Texas Thoroughbred Association during the TTA annual conference and awards banquet, which was held at the Horseshoe Bay Resort Marriott July 21-22.
Helen Kleberg Groves, whose family owned the world-famous King Ranch, will receive the T. I. "Pops" Harkins Award from the Texas Thoroughbred Association during the TTA's 50th anniversary celebration and annual conference June 23-25 at the Horseshoe Bay Resort Marriott in Marble Falls, Texas.
Because of his extensive efforts in mobilizing Texas Thoroughbred Association members in a grassroots campaign to legalize video lottery terminals (VLTs) at Texas racetracks, Gene Palmieri has been selected as the recipient of the 2005 Allen Bogan Memorial Award as TTA member of the year.
WinStar Farm co-owner Bill Casner was elected to a three-year at-large term on the Texas Thoroughbred Association Board of Directors.
A storm that whipped through Medina County, Texas, the evening of March 19 killed five horses and destroyed three barns at Gene and Judy Palmieri's Silver Spur Ranch located about a half-hour southwest of San Antonio.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Arnold Believes Spiral is Good Spot for Convict Pike
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017