Stanley Park, who registered a 7-1 upset in his last race, carries top weight of 118 pounds as the likely favorite in the about 1 3/4-mile San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) on turf, the highlight of Santa Anita Park's closing weekend.
Trainer Mike Mitchell, who already has won twice as many stakes races this season as he has in any Del Mar meet of the past, believes he has a strong hand for Sunday's $250,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT).
Gary A. Tanaka's veteran stakes campaigner Sarafan showed his class Wednesday with a decisive victory in the featured $79,000 Escondido Handicap at the marathon distance of 1 3/8 miles on the grass at Del Mar.
Even the Score, a two-length winner of the Mervyn LeRoy Handicap (gr. II) on May 8, figures to be favored among nine entrants in the 1 1/8-mile Californian (gr. II) Saturday at Hollywood Park.
Meteor Storm, overlooked at 7-1 in the wagering, burst to the lead in the stretch and held off a late rally by Labirinto and scored a neck victory Saturday in the $200,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) for older turf runners at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban