Oprah Winney, a grade II-winning daughter of Royal Academy, has been retired from racing and booked to Ghostzapper.
June 4 started out as just another clear, beautiful day for the 9-year-old gelding Gander at Better Days Farm in Bedford Hills, N.Y.
Gander, the grand old New York-bred gelding, has run his last race. The 8-year-old son of Cormorant suffered a fracture of the short pastern in his front leg while breezing at Saratoga Wednesday morning and is scheduled to fly to Kentucky Thursday morning for surgery.
Shadow Caster, the longest shot in the field for the Forego Handicap (gr. II) at Saratoga, zipped through the stretch to stun graded stakes winners Intidab and Successful Appeal, winning Wednesday's feature race by a length. Those two rivals, along with Iron Punch, followed Shadow Caster over the line and forced a photo for second, won by Intidab.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Fair Grounds, Horsemen Rise to Challenge