Oprah Winney, a grade II-winning daughter of Royal Academy, has been retired from racing and booked to Ghostzapper.
June 4 started out as just another clear, beautiful day for the 9-year-old gelding Gander at Better Days Farm in Bedford Hills, N.Y.
Gander, the grand old New York-bred gelding, has run his last race. The 8-year-old son of Cormorant suffered a fracture of the short pastern in his front leg while breezing at Saratoga Wednesday morning and is scheduled to fly to Kentucky Thursday morning for surgery.
Shadow Caster, the longest shot in the field for the Forego Handicap (gr. II) at Saratoga, zipped through the stretch to stun graded stakes winners Intidab and Successful Appeal, winning Wednesday's feature race by a length. Those two rivals, along with Iron Punch, followed Shadow Caster over the line and forced a photo for second, won by Intidab.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Jaramillo Named to Ride Majesto in Derby
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Adventist 'Ready' if Derby Spot Opens Up
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Haskin: Viva Canonero...Again