Oprah Winney, a grade II-winning daughter of Royal Academy, has been retired from racing and booked to Ghostzapper.
June 4 started out as just another clear, beautiful day for the 9-year-old gelding Gander at Better Days Farm in Bedford Hills, N.Y.
Gander, the grand old New York-bred gelding, has run his last race. The 8-year-old son of Cormorant suffered a fracture of the short pastern in his front leg while breezing at Saratoga Wednesday morning and is scheduled to fly to Kentucky Thursday morning for surgery.
Shadow Caster, the longest shot in the field for the Forego Handicap (gr. II) at Saratoga, zipped through the stretch to stun graded stakes winners Intidab and Successful Appeal, winning Wednesday's feature race by a length. Those two rivals, along with Iron Punch, followed Shadow Caster over the line and forced a photo for second, won by Intidab.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Touted in Derby Future Wager
- Indiana Trainer Facing Three-Year Suspension
- Penn National Postpones Big Wednesday Card
- Voting Open for Secretariat Vox Populi Award
- Sweeping New Drug Rules Approved in New York
- Millennium Releases Stallion Roster, Fees
- The Week in Photos for 11/29/2014
- What's Going On Here: Going National
- Old Friends Sets Open House for Silver Charm
- Hoppertunity Gets Churchill Chance in Clark