Oprah Winney, a grade II-winning daughter of Royal Academy, has been retired from racing and booked to Ghostzapper.
June 4 started out as just another clear, beautiful day for the 9-year-old gelding Gander at Better Days Farm in Bedford Hills, N.Y.
Gander, the grand old New York-bred gelding, has run his last race. The 8-year-old son of Cormorant suffered a fracture of the short pastern in his front leg while breezing at Saratoga Wednesday morning and is scheduled to fly to Kentucky Thursday morning for surgery.
Shadow Caster, the longest shot in the field for the Forego Handicap (gr. II) at Saratoga, zipped through the stretch to stun graded stakes winners Intidab and Successful Appeal, winning Wednesday's feature race by a length. Those two rivals, along with Iron Punch, followed Shadow Caster over the line and forced a photo for second, won by Intidab.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Boden Takes on Key Positions at Calumet Farm
- Ireland and the Thoroughbred
- Former Derby Museum Resident Au Moon Dies
- Cavorting Drops a Level to Prioress
- First Winner for Adios Charlie
- Pinnacle Peak Ships to Monmouth for Sapling
- KY Downs Horsemen Can Pledge to TCA
- Gulfstream Championship Meet Schedule Set
- Stronach Group Still Interested in Suffolk