Wende Stone Bell, 56, wife of Darley America president Jimmy Bell, passed away peacefully May 9 at home surrounded by her family.
Gypsy Robin was an impressive wire-to-wire winner of the $250,000 Lexus Raven Run Oct. 20, blitzing to the lead at Keeneland and never looking back as she easily overpowered 13 sophomore fillies by four lengths.
Returning from an absence of more than seven months, Gypsy Robin dictated the tempo and was never headed while winning the $150,000 Beaumont Stakes (gr. II) before 19,371 at Keeneland April 15.
Grade I winner and first-crop stallion Daaher sired his first winner when his daughter Gypsy Robin scored at Keeneland April 22.
Trainer Wesley Ward ran one-two in last year's race and has a pair for this year's running. Also, last year's third-place finisher was Mission Impazible, who runs in Saturday's Kentucky Derby.
Grade I winner Borrego sired his first winner when his daughter Nina Fever won by eight lengths at Keeneland April 3.
Jockey Fernando Jara and agent Randy Romero will officially part ways on Dec. 17 after Jara paid Romero $15,000 to be released from his contract, Romero said Saturday afternoon from his home in Louisville, Ky.
Fernando Jara, who rode Invasor to victory over Bernardini in the Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge (gr. I) Nov. 4, will be represented by Gatewood Bell instead of agent Randy Romero beginning in February of 2007, Romero said Nov. 28.
Most Popular Stories
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu Stakes
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- Cyber Secret Sets Turfway Mark in Stakes Win
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Eluisve Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song