Mount Pleasant Meadows, a mixed breed racetrack in central Michigan, has a contract with horsemen for a 30-day live meet with Thoroughbred races making up the bulk of the cards, but racing hinges on approval by the MGCB.
Pinnacle Race Course officials shut down the Detroit, Mich.-area track following the end of its live meet Oct. 31 and announced that simulcast operations would be suspended until at least the spring 2011.
The Michigan HBPA has helped Pinnacle Race Course restore its racing dates by paying a reglator through the MGCB.
The Michigan Gaming and Control Board, which announced in early March that it would trim the state's horse racing dates by more than half, has just dealt another blow to the local Thoroughbred industry.
Dan Adkins, a Michigan racetrack official who has for the last 18 months been working on a petition that would allow eight casinos in the state, is moving forward with the measure -- with or without the support of horsemen.
After several meetings, two Michigan horsemen's groups have remained unsuccessful in convincing Dan Adkins of Hazel Park to amend the language of a petition concerning the approval of eight new casinos in the state.
Pinnacle Race Course in Michigan has been approved by the Office of the Racing Commissioner to race 84 days in 2010.
Pinnacle Race Course, which just opened last year, has been ordered to cut 2009 dates by 63% because of budget reductions in Michigan, the Michigan Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association reported May 20.
After an executive order from Gov. Jennifer Granholm that 100% of the $1.4 million earmarked for Michigan's Thoroughbred programs for 2009 would be used instead to deal with the state's immense budget deficit, local horsemen feared their industry would die a quick death.
Most Popular Stories
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill