Free from the likes of Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) runners Exaggerator, Danzing Candy, and Mor Spirit, Uncle Lino broke through for his first stakes win April 30 in the inaugural $150,000 California Chrome Stakes at Los Alamitos.
Kaleem Shah's Fantastic Style took the 2015 edition of the Great Lady M. Stakes (gr. II) in commanding fashion and will look for a repeat performance April 23 in the race's renewal at Los Alamitos Race Course.
Michael Lund Peterson's Mor Spirit worked four furlongs March 24 in :47 4/5 at Santa Anita Park, and earned the "breezing" tag in preparation for the $1 million Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 9.
Terry Lovingier's Lost Bus provided a 64-1 stunner in the $200,000 Santa Monica Stakes (gr. II) Jan. 23 at Santa Anita Park.
Tom Grether Farms' Intangaroo notched her third grade I score of the season, as she came from off the pace under Alonso Quinonez and stormed past rivals in the stretch to take the Ballerina Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 24 at Saratoga.
Intangaroo came roaring down the stretch to overtake Baroness Thatcher and Hystericalady at the wire to win a photo-finish thriller in the $300,000 Humana Distaff (gr. I) at Churchill Downs May 3.
Hystericalady, the 3-10 favorite, just didn't have it in her first start since the Breeders' Cup, opening the door for Intangaroo, the longest shot in the field at 26-1, to win the $250,000 Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita Feb. 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Adversaries Unite at Trainers' Dinner
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Grudge Match in the Alysheba
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Three Grade I Winners Vie for La Troienne