From the time he was a youngster, trainer Gary Jones said winning the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) was his family's biggest quest.
Two-time Horse of the Year Curlin and trainer Steve Asmussen, who saddled him to nine stakes wins in the years he won those titles, are among 10 finalists on the 2014 Hall of Fame ballot.
Two-time champion Ashado and four-time grade I winner Lure join two other Thoroughbreds, five jockeys, and one trainer as finalists for this year's Racing Hall of Fame class.
Jockeys Calvin Borel, Garrett Gomez, and John Velazquez and trainer Jerry Hollendorfer are first-time finalists for election to the National Museum of Racing's Hall of Fame.
Point Given, the 2001 Horse of the Year and champion 3-year-old male, is among six equine finalists for election to the National Museum of Racing's Hall of Fame in Saratoga Springs
Champion trainer Farrell W. Jones, an eight-time Santa Anita leader whose beginnings in racing trace back to Seabiscuit, died March 12 in the Hemet area near his California ranch.
Retired trainer Farrell W. Jones, eighth in career victories at Hollywood Park with 479, visited the track for the first time in 25 years Sunday.
Ten horses, five jockeys, and five trainers have been nominated for the National Museum of Racing's Hall of Fame, museum president John von Stade announced Monday. The slate of nominees is the first presented under the revised procedures of Thoroughbred racing's official national Hall of Fame.
Roll Hennessy Roll, impressive winner of the Hollywood Prevue Stakes (gr. III) Nov. 23, will try the Hollywood Futurity (gr. I) at 1 1/16 miles Dec. 21, trainer Rafael Becerra confirmed Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return