Bruce Garland, the senior executive vice president of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority who began his career in racing with the New Jersey Racing Commission, will retire at the end of this year.
Without a purse supplement from the state and an average daily purse distribution of less than half of what it offered in 2001, business at the current Meadowlands meet has been called "really bad" by an executive of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which owns and operates the northern New Jersey track.
Most Popular Stories
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- Suffolk Downs Loses Casino Bid on 3-1 Vote
- Is California Chrome Vulnerable in PA Derby?
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Injury Forces Sea The Moon's Retirement
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact
- Global Sprint Challenge: Winner = Racing?
- Keeping Pace: Galileo Proving Up to Challenge