Owner Frank Carl Calabrese and trainer Kirk Ziadie have ended a high-profile partnership in which they each led in wins at two recent race meets at Calder Casino & Race Course and at the first summer/fall meet at Gulfstream.
Michael Gill, North America's leading owner by races and money won in 2003 and 2004, said he is getting out of the business because of what he calls the "dirty politics" of the industry.
Ambition Unbridled took the Dr. A.B. Leggio Memorial Handicap field gate to wire to post a 21-1 upset in the $100,000 dash for fillies and mares over the Stall-Wilson turf course.
A varied group of 12 horses are scheduled to contest the Argent Dixie Stakes (gr. IIT), including three entries owned by Mike Gill and Canadian Triple Crown winner Wando.
Michael Gill, the nation's leading owner, has shipped in 17 horses to winter at Fair Grounds in New Orleans, La. with trainer Gamaliel Vazquez. It marks the first time Gill has ever had a string of horses stabled on the grounds.
It didn't take long for trainer Nick Canani to win his first race in Maryland for owner Michael Gill. In Wednesday's fourth race at Laurel, Expect The Best scored as the third mount the trainer saddled in the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Easter Filly for Horse of the Year Zenyatta
- Trainer Jones Continues to Recover From Fall
- After the Wire: Top 5 Derby Prep Races
- Champion Filly Beholder Coasts in 2014 Debut
- Santa Anita Winter Meet Handle Up 4%
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Wildcat Red, With Saez, Works at Gulfstream
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- Bejarano Takes Santa Anita Jockey Title