Owner Frank Carl Calabrese and trainer Kirk Ziadie have ended a high-profile partnership in which they each led in wins at two recent race meets at Calder Casino & Race Course and at the first summer/fall meet at Gulfstream.
Michael Gill, North America's leading owner by races and money won in 2003 and 2004, said he is getting out of the business because of what he calls the "dirty politics" of the industry.
Ambition Unbridled took the Dr. A.B. Leggio Memorial Handicap field gate to wire to post a 21-1 upset in the $100,000 dash for fillies and mares over the Stall-Wilson turf course.
A varied group of 12 horses are scheduled to contest the Argent Dixie Stakes (gr. IIT), including three entries owned by Mike Gill and Canadian Triple Crown winner Wando.
Michael Gill, the nation's leading owner, has shipped in 17 horses to winter at Fair Grounds in New Orleans, La. with trainer Gamaliel Vazquez. It marks the first time Gill has ever had a string of horses stabled on the grounds.
It didn't take long for trainer Nick Canani to win his first race in Maryland for owner Michael Gill. In Wednesday's fourth race at Laurel, Expect The Best scored as the third mount the trainer saddled in the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004