An analysis of data collected by The Jockey Club over a three-year period shows the race-related fatal injury rate was 1.91 per 1,000 starts during the period, falling from 1.98 per 1,000 starts in 2009 to 1.88 in 2011.
Starting July 23 at Saratoga and continuing at Belmont Park and Aqueduct, the stewards' race-day decisions involving the official order of finish will be communicated via the simulcast feed and will also be posted to NYRA.com
In a letter to the Maryland Racing Commission and Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, the Maryland Jockey Club announced Friday its intention to open Laurel Park for training by early next week, weather permitting.
- By Tom Keyser
As tensions escalated between leaders of the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association and the chairman of the Maryland Racing Commission, executives of the Maryland Jockey Club said Tuesday that the rebuilding of the Laurel Park dirt track was nearly complete.
Racing won't return to Laurel Park until after the new year as workers rebuilding the racing surfaces have encountered weather delays and continue to address foundation problems.
Jim Gagliano, who joined Magna Entertainment Corp. more than two years ago, has been appointed executive vice president of Maryland racing operations for MEC, majority owner of Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course under the Maryland Jockey Club banner.
Jim Gagliano, executive vice president and general manager at Philadelphia Park, will leave that post Feb. 22 to take a job with Magna Entertainment. Gagliano will head Magna's off-track betting operations.
Most Popular Stories
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Tepin Gets Serious in Latest Work
- Suddenbreakingnews Set to Return at Oaklawn
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- OBS to Offer Experienced Racehorses, Yearlings, Mares
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work