While Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July started the yearling season on a strong note in its usual position of late, horses of racing age also turned plenty of heads at the first ever Fasig-Tipton summer horses of racing age sale.
The good news during the fourth session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale was that the average and median both increases. The bad news was the rise in the buy-back rate.
The Thoroughbred market's dismal downward trend this year continued during the opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Eastern fall yearling sale Oct. 5 in Maryland. The gross revenue suffered a moderate 9.5% loss from 2008, but the median price plummeted 35% while the average price fell 19.4%.
It was more of the same for the fourth session of the 2008 Keeneland November breeding stock sale Nov. 6 at the Central Kentucky auction house as the number of horses sold, gross, average, and median all fell from last year's marks.
Sam-Son Farm-bred Danceinthesunlight, the first horse through the sales ring, got the fourth session of the 2008 Keeneland November breeding stock sale off to a strong start Nov. 6 when she was purchased by Southern Equine for $675,000.
Paramount Sales, the ninth leading consignor by gross auction sales in North America last year, is now owned and operated exclusively by Pat Costello and Gabriel Duignan.
Multiple grade I winner Toccet will stand the 2005 breeding season at Castleton Lyons. His fee will be $12,500.
One of the Lexington area's largest and most historic properties has a new owner from abroad. Dr. Tony Ryan lives in Ireland where he founded an airline, Ryanair, and owns three Thoroughbred farms. Now he owns 1,073 acres of famous Kentucky Bluegrass.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Belmont Fall Championship Meet Opens Sept. 5
- Munirah Arrives Late for Boiling Springs Win