Trainer Mike Mitchell tried to concentrate on work in his Hollywood Park stable office Wednesday but found it impossible to forget about grade I winner Star Over the Bay, whose winner's circle pictures hung on the wall.
The front-running Star Over the Bay enhanced his reputation for being tough to beat in the stretch, holding off a determined A to the Z in a grueling stretch duel to win the $500,000 Sunshine Millions Turf at Santa Anita Park Saturday.
Star Over the Bay's game front-running victory by a nose over odds-on favorite Continuously in the $150,000 Sunset Handicap (gr. IIT) on the lawn Sunday put a big bow around jockey Tyler Baze's first riding title at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Bal a Bali Vying for U.S. Score in American
- Pletcher Considers Preakness Stakes Options
- Princess Violet Tops Ruffian Stakes Entrants
- KHRC Vote on Salix Threshold Triggers Debate
- Unspurned Seeks Repeat Performance in Hendrie
- Beholder, Warren's Veneda Face Off in Vanity
- Wolf Man Rocket Ships in for Peter Pan Stakes
- NYRA to Cap Belmont Attendance at 90,000
- MarketWatch: Jamie Hill on Sires, Pinhooking
- Hardest Core in Man o' War vs. Imagining