Favorites Tribesman and Vicarino dueled each other into submission in the $100,000 Bay Meadows Sprint (gr. III), allowing the late-running Bonfante to earn an easy 4 1/2-length win for trainer Ron McAnally March 15 in San Mateo, Calif.
Saturday's $103,488 San Simeon Handicap at Santa Anita, pared to four starters from an original field of nine when switched from the hillside turf course to the main track at 6 1/2 furlongs, went to Bonfante, the longest shot in the field who won a stirring stretch battle with Battle Won.
The tough veteran Bonfante successfully defended his title in the $100,000 California Turf Sprint Championship at Bay Meadows Saturday despite encountering some traffic troubles in the stretch.
Bonfante, making his first start since finishing second in the 2005 California Turf Sprint Championship last Sept. 24, won the 2006 edition of the $100,000 grass stakes for California-bred horses in convincing fashion Saturday at Bay Meadows.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen