After missing the Black-Eyed Susan Stakes, Take Charge Lady bounces back to win the Dogwood.
French Satin set moderate fractions, then repelled a bid by Ease Ahead and Ciudad de Carson en route to a 1 3/4-length victory in Sunday's $150,000 Florida Oaks (gr. III) at Tampa Bay Downs.
Fourth choice Equality, bred and owned by Josephine Abercrombie's Pin Oak Stud, won the Tampa Bay Derby.
Girls just want to have fun. So sang Cyndi Lauper, the guest musician in Gulfstream's entertainment complex on Feb. 24, whose presence attracted the third-largest Sunday crowd ever at the track. Rosemary Homeister Jr. and Ms Brookski had fun also, by winning the meet's first two-turn stakes race for 3-year-old fillies on dirt, the Davona Dale Stakes (gr. II).
Frolic is the word in Sunday's $100,000 Davona Dale Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at Gulfstream Park. Smok'n Frolic, a gray daughter of Smoke Glacken who will be making her debut for 2002, figures to be the favorite. Second choice in the 1 1/16-mile event looks to be Stormy Frolic, a Summer Squall daughter trained by Milt Wolfson.
Odds-on favorite A New Twist set the pace through the opening quarter-mile then dueled with Cherokee Girl for a half-mile, before 22-1 longshot Take the Cake rolled by the leading pair to win the $100,000 Forward Gal Stakes (gr. III) by 3 1/4 lengths Sunday at Gulfstream Park.
A New Twist upset 3-10 favorite Forest Heiress by 3 1/2 lengths Sunday in the $100,000 Old Hat Stakes for 3-year-old fillies on a showery day at Gulfstream Park. In her most recent start prior to the Old Hat, A New Twist finished second to Forest Heiress in the Valley Stream Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity