French Assault will miss Sunday's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) due to a gasto-intestinal virus, according to trainer Keith Desormeaux.
It was the same old song but with a different beat. In 1995, trainer Kenny McPeek brought Tejano Run to Fair Grounds for his sophomore debut in the Risen Star Stakes. Tejano Run staggered home in fifth as the 1-2 favorite that year but went on to finish a fast-closing second to Thunder Gulch in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Each week, we will discuss the horses running in 3-year-old stakes who we feel will give you a run for your money at a good price, and some who might be worth watching in the weeks to come.
With five of the nine starters in Sunday's Risen Stakes at Fair Grounds coming off races in which they set or pressed the pace, the 1 1/16-mile race appears to set up perfectly for morning line favorite Repent.
Six Crowns, the stakes winning dam of champion Chief's Crown and multiple grade I winner Classic Crown, was euthanized due to the infirmities of old age on Thursday, February 14 at the age of 26. The daughter of Secretariat will be buried at Robert N. Clay's Three Chimneys Farm next to her dam, Filly Triple Crown winner Chris Evert.
French Assault, preparing for his 3-year-old debut in Sunday's $150,000 Risen Star Stakes (gr. III), worked five furlongs at Fair Grounds Wednesday for trainer Keith Desormeaux. The son of French Deputy completed the breeze in 1:03 on a fast track.
A baker's dozen were pre-entered for the Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), but it will be an upside-down cake if anyone other than Officer enters the winner's circle following the 8 1/2 furlong match.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Victorious in Bernard Baruch Return
- Itsmyluckyday Outfights Moreno in Woodward
- Palace Dazzles in Speedy Forego Triumph
- Sunset Glow Shines in Del Mar Debutante Win
- Stonetastic Powers to Prioress Score
- Avanzare Prevails in Washington Park Thriller
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- Best Pal Winner Skyway Returns for Futurity
- Durkin Nears Finish Line of Brilliant Career
- Velazquez Receives Mike Venezia Award