Winchell Thoroughbreds' Tapiture overcame a troubled trip and a lost shoe to gamely defeat a determined Candy Boy at the wire in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. II) at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort Aug. 2.
Tapiture bounced back from his 15th-place finish in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) in May with flair, scoring a convincing victory in the $109,400 Matt Winn Stakes (gr. III) June 14 at Churchill.
Grade I winner Tapit was represented by his first U.S. winner when his son Retap won May 14 at Churchill Downs in his first start.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Emerald Downs Seeks New Track Announcer
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Baffert Weighing Bayern's Derby Week Options
- 'Company' No Issue for El Kabeir in Workout
- Criterion, Red Cadeaux Set for Rematch in HK
- Tencendur Beats the Rain in Morning Work
- International Star Stays Home for Final Work
- Kentucky Derby: Simon Callaghan & Firing Line
- Firing Line Stretches Legs in Derby Breeze