Winchell Thoroughbreds' Tapiture overcame a troubled trip and a lost shoe to gamely defeat a determined Candy Boy at the wire in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. II) at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort Aug. 2.
Tapiture bounced back from his 15th-place finish in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) in May with flair, scoring a convincing victory in the $109,400 Matt Winn Stakes (gr. III) June 14 at Churchill.
Grade I winner Tapit was represented by his first U.S. winner when his son Retap won May 14 at Churchill Downs in his first start.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Tepin Gets Serious in Latest Work
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Suddenbreakingnews Set to Return at Oaklawn
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- OBS to Offer Experienced Racehorses, Yearlings, Mares