Winchell Thoroughbreds' Tapiture overcame a troubled trip and a lost shoe to gamely defeat a determined Candy Boy at the wire in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. II) at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort Aug. 2.
Tapiture bounced back from his 15th-place finish in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) in May with flair, scoring a convincing victory in the $109,400 Matt Winn Stakes (gr. III) June 14 at Churchill.
Grade I winner Tapit was represented by his first U.S. winner when his son Retap won May 14 at Churchill Downs in his first start.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- OBS Hips to Watch Include Tapwrit's Half Brother