Beyond it being his first victory as a trainer, David Rakoff's win with Petite Lapin in the final race Dec. 7 at Gulfstream Park will always carry an extra special significance for him.
Island Skipper, the Golden Age Stable's colt who shipped in from Florida for Sunday's Haskell Stakes (gr. I) was on his way out to the track to gallop Saturday morning when handlers noticed he had a problem with his left front foot.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Paulassilverlining Shows Her Mettle in Honorable Miss
- Curlin Road Wears Down Hard Aces in Cougar II
- Drefong Set for 2017 Debut in Bing Crosby
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- A. P. Indian Seeks Vanderbilt Repeat