Beyond it being his first victory as a trainer, David Rakoff's win with Petite Lapin in the final race Dec. 7 at Gulfstream Park will always carry an extra special significance for him.
Island Skipper, the Golden Age Stable's colt who shipped in from Florida for Sunday's Haskell Stakes (gr. I) was on his way out to the track to gallop Saturday morning when handlers noticed he had a problem with his left front foot.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack