Champion Western Australian galloper Northerly took the first step in his comeback in Perth Sept. 11 with a brave fourth at his first race for more than a year.
To the roar of the crowd, the grand mare Sunline stepped onto the track for her farewell event. She tossed her head about to acknowledge one of the largest crowds ever assembled at historic Moonee Valley Racecourse. At the starting gates a stellar field of runners were waiting for her to contest the $3 million Cox Plate, a Group I event run at the classic distance of 1 1/4 miles.
Northerly became the first horse in 40 years to successfully defend an Underwood Stakes (Aust-I) at Caulfield on Sept. 22. And after his head defeat of Magical Miss, handler Fred Kersley hinted that the 6 year-old grandson of Nijinsky II might eschew a defense of the W.S. Cox Plate (Aust-I) on Oct. 26.
Northerly held off a determined challenge from Magical Miss to win the Group I Emirates Racing Association Underwood Stakes at Austrailia's Caulfield by a head Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs
- Seasoned Sprinters Fill Churchill Downs S.