California sprinter Bordonaro went gate to wire to successfully defend his title in the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park Friday, but he had to work harder to do it.
Richard Migliore has been selected to replace injured Patrick Valenzuela on Bordonaro in the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Sprint at Santa Anita on Jan. 27.
After Bordonaro's smashing front-running victory in the Ancient Title Breeders' Cup (gr. I) Saturday at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meet, accomplished in a time of 1:07 4/5 for six furlongs, owners Fred Carrillo and Dan Cassella have a tough decision ahead of them.
Fred Carrillo and Dan Cassella's California-bred invader Bordonaro, the 2-5 favorite trained by Bill Spawr and ridden by Patrick Valenzuela, won the $150,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) by 1 1/4 lengths over Friendly Island Thursday at Oaklawn Park.
Favored Bordonaro roared off the turn for jockey Patrick Valenzuela and held off the challenge of Tacirring in the final stages to win the $300,000 Padua Stables Sprint to kick off the Sunshine Millions program for California and Florida-bred horses at Gulfstream Park Saturday.
Razor sharp Bordonaro sped to the front for jockey Patrick Valenzuela shortly after the start of the $100,000 Vernon O. Underwood (gr. III) and drew away for a three-length victory in his first graded stakes race Saturday at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Keeneland Gross, Average Decline Slightly
- Princess of Sylmar to Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win
- Fields Shaping Up for Super Saturday Card
- After the Wire: Game On Dude & Pa. Derby
- Los Alamitos Concludes First Fall Meet
- Florida Won Steals Ontario Derby Show
- Jockey Court Eyes Return to Race Riding
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby