A multi-party agreement has paved the way for a three-year funding model for Hastings Racecourse in British Columbia, Canada, officials said Feb. 17. The 2014 Thoroughbred meet is expected to begin in late April or early May.
Great Canadian Gaming Corporation, owners of Hastings Racetrack in Vancouver, British Columbia, announced the resignation of Anthony R. Martin as president and chief operating officer Feb. 20.
Emerald Downs will become the first Thoroughbred track in the United States to conduct common pool pari-mutuel wagering with Canada on Thursday evening.
Hastings Park will be permitted to install 600 slot machines in the wake of a 6-5 vote by the Vancouver City Council July 22. Mayor Larry Campbell, who provided the deciding vote, said it was about saving jobs in the community.
Fraser Downs, a British Columbia Standardbred track located not far from Hastings Park, received approval Dec. 16 to install slot machines. The Surrey City Council will schedule a fourth reading on the measure and approve final documents in a few weeks, the track said in a press release.
- By Tom LaMarra
A British Columbia Standardbred track piqued the community's interest with radio advertisements that parodied phone sex, but the campaign won't be back next season. That's not to say the campaign wasn't successful, though.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Mshawish Tops Taylor Made Roster, For Now
- Handy Work at Remington for Texas Chrome
- Twilight Son to Cheveley Park in 2017
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Klosterman’s Legacy Continues at Fasig-Tipton
- Malibu Moon, Tapit Colts Could Shine at F-T
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Trainer Baird Reaches Win 2,000
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm