Trainer Frank "Pancho" Martin, who was inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 1981, has died at age 86.
Finish Line Farms' Just a Lion gave trainer Juan Serey an extra celebration following his victory at Monmouth Park Oct. 17.
The veteran trainer won his 157th New York race of the year Dec. 29 at Aqueduct
Jose Martin, who trained Groovy and two other champions and was a member of a prominent New York racing family, died Wednesday at North Shore University Hospital after a lengthy bout with lung cancer.
- By Ryan Conley
Trainer Gregory Martin, who in March pleaded guilty to charges for his role in an alleged multi-million dollar illegal gambling ring, was sentenced to two years probation with six months home confinement on Tuesday during an appearance in a New York federal court.
Champion Outstandingly, who won the first Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) upon the disqualification of Fran's Valentine, was euthanized today at Gainsborough Farm near Lexington due to the longtime effects of chronic laminitis.
Trainer Todd Pletcher broke Frank "Pancho" Martin's 21-year-old Belmont Park spring-summer meeting record for victories when he saddled Zawzooth for a win in Wednesday's $65,000 My Juliet.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- McCarron: Clarification
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges