Emerald Downs, the Northwest's premier racing venue near Seattle, Wash., springs back into action for its 18th season on the evening of April 19.
Frank Gaunt, a successful owner at Emerald Downs, died Dec. 22 of cancer. He was 81.
Racing will get underway Friday at Emerald Downs with 62 horses entered for the eight-race card.
Gallant Son makes his long-awaited return to the northwest as the 5-2 morning line favorite in the $250,000 Longaces Mile (gr. III) at Emerald Downs Aug. 22.
Gallant Son overcame a wide starting berth to win the $100,000 Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) for his first graded stakes score April 25 on the turf at Hollywood Park.
Trainer Frank Lucarelli recorded the 1,000th victory of his career when Premier Diablo rallied from last to win the first race Feb. 8 at Golden Gate Fields in Albany, Calif.
Gallant Son, the dominant 2-year-old at Emerald Downs last season, continues to train well at Golden Gate Fields and trainer Frank Lucarelli has several options for the promising colt.
In his final workout prior to the Breeders' Cup, Emerald Downs' prodigy Gallant Son smoked six furlongs in 1:12 on the Pro-Ride synthetic surface Oct. 19 at Santa Anita Park.
Average daily handle for the Emerald Downs' meet that ended Oct. 1 was virtually unchanged over the previous year, the Auburn, Wash. track has reported.
Indian Weaver broke his maiden in impressive fashion by winning the $40,000 Strong Ruler Stakes by 11 lengths on Saturday at Emerald Downs.
Emerald Downs wrapped up its 92-day meeting Monday with dips in both on-track and overall handle over 2002.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts