After six weeks of intense negotiations on a new contract, the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association and Suffolk Downs finally sealed a two-year agreement late in the day March 4.
The NEHBPA and Suffolk Downs have reached an agreement in principal for a 2011 contract and the deal is expected to be sealed March 2, according to the general counsel for the horsemen.
The general counsel for the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association said the afternoon of Feb. 28 negotiations have reached the "sink or swim" point on a contract resolution for 2011.
There is a Feb. 25 deadline looming in the 2011 contract dispute between Suffolk Downs and the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association.
Suffolk Downs and the New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association continued to negotiate Feb. 18 and indications are that the two sides are creeping closer to common ground on a contract for 2011.
Executives with the Boston area track met with horsemen representatives Feb. 17. No proposals on the table some "some progress" is made.
The New England Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association was prepared to offer a counterproposal to the management of Suffolk Downs Feb. 9 in an attempt to get back to the bargaining table and end their dispute.
The horsemen in Oregon have joined the list of groups supporting the New England chapter of the Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association as dispute over a 2011 live racing contract at Suffolk Downs continues.
While the New England HBPA and Suffolk Downs remain at a bitter impasse over a contract for live racing in 2011, the attorney for the horsemen said Feb. 1 he is looking into options to race elsewhere.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Awesome Baby Heads Speedy Field in La Brea
- Los Alamitos Concludes Successful Winter Meet
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Strong Field Set for Mathis Brothers Mile
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Divine Oath, North Slope Meet in McKnight
- Clement Trio Looms Large in La Prevoyante
- Speechify Goes for Grade in Mr. Prospector