At a mile and a half, the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) has always been considered the true test of stamina and ability among Thoroughbreds, according to leading horsemen from the 1960s.
Castleton Lyons' homebred won four consecutive grade I turf races, ran second in the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic (gr. IT) and Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I).
Leroidesanimaux, who won eight consecutive races before finishing a game second in the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) last month, has been retired to stud at Stonewall Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Canadian Horse Racing Plans Anniversary 250 Celebration
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal