Grade II winner Dr. Brendler has been retired from racing after coming out of the Aug. 9 Sword Dancer Invitational Handicap (gr. IT) at Saratoga with a torn suspensory ligament.
The field for Saturday's Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) was reduced by one on Friday when trainer Graham Motion decided against shipping Dr. Brendler from his Maryland base to Churchill Downs for the race.
Longshot Dr. Brendler rallied in mid-stretch, then held off a resurging Perfect Soul to win the $200,000 Citgo Dixie Stakes (gr. IIT) by a half-length at Pimlico on Saturday. The 1 1/8-mile turf race run over soft going, was run in a slow 1:57.78, more than 10 seconds off the course record.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Bridlewood Owner Malone Purchases Ballylinch
- Penn Mile Tops 193-Day Penn National Schedule
- Casino Would Negatively Impact Finger Lakes
- Pedigree Analysis: Milwaukee Brew
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Musselman Drops Lawsuit Against Churchill