Horsemen in Ocala were coping with downed trees, damage to barn roofs, and widespread power outages Wednesday during the wake of Hurricane Frances, which pounded Central Florida with heavy rains and strong winds over the Labor Day weekend.
Calder Race Course was forced to close for both live racing and simulcasting from Friday, Sept. 3 through Sunday, Sept. 5 due to the effects of Hurricane Frances.
- By Scott Davis
With Hurricane Frances bearing down on the East Coast of Florida, Calder Race Course announced on Thursday morning that it will be closed for both live racing and simulcasting on Friday and Saturday. The track hopes to re-open on Sunday.
With Hurricane Frances bearing down on Florida, Calder Race Course near Miami has announced changes in its racing schedule.
Although 141 dates for Thoroughbred racing in 2002 were approved by the New Jersey Racing Commission in December, the fact that a purse supplement from the legislature had been severely reduced and, in fact, may be eliminated from the state budget forced the commission to reduce the dates allocation to 120.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- OK-Bred GI Winner Clever Trevor Dies at 31
- Creator, Gun Runner Work in Saratoga
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Gift Box, Connect, Swipe Entered in Curlin
- NY Alters Rules on Claims, Some Medications