Evan Hammonds recaps the Sham Stakes, San Pasqual Stakes, and Ft. Lauderdale Stakes.
Mike Repole's Calibrachoa, a five-time New York graded stakes winner, has been retired from racing because of minor issues.
Calibrachoa took over from the pacesetters in the stretch and held off a late run from Caleb's Posse to win the $200,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. III) by a neck March 3.
A return to a fast track at Aqueduct worked to the benefit of Calibrachoa, who pressed the issue for jockey Jose Lezcano and then drew off in the final furlong to easily win the $100,000 Bold Ruler Stakes (gr. III) Nov. 6.
Former claimer Calibrachoa became a graded stakes winner and remained unbeaten in two starts when he held off Independence War by a half-length in the $98,000 Toboggan Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 22 at Aqueduct.
Calibrachoa reeled in entrymate Driven by Success to give trainer Todd Pletcher and owner Mike Repole a sweep of the top two spots in the $65,000 Gravesend Stakes Dec. 18 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Edgar Prado guided Kinsman Stable's homebred Classic Campaign through a tight hole in deep stretch to win the $75,000 Fort Lauderdale Stakes in an exciting upset on the Gulfstream Park lawn Saturday.
Give Praise, who dropped down to the maiden claiming ranks for her first win at Hollywood Park in July, closed through the stretch to win the $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. II) Sunday at Del Mar.
Nelson Hunt's Fort Lauderdale is the 8-5 morning-line favorite to win the $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies Sunday at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs
- Stewart Not Making Changes in Derby
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Relaxed Debuts Helped Brody's Cause, Creator
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Taris Will Cut Back for Humana Distaff
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016