Zayat Stables' favored Moudez, an Irish-bred colt who began his career in England, prevailed in a field of eight 3-year-olds to win the $112,100 Forerunner Stakes on the grass Thursday at Keeneland.
Jockey John Velazquez, injured when his mount broke down at Keeneland April 20, will miss the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) due to a fractured right shoulder blade and other injuries, according to Tristan Barry, an assistant to trainer Todd Pletcher.
Two-time Eclipse Award-winning jockey John Velazquez remained hospitalized Thursday evening following a nasty spill in Keeneland's feature race, the Forerunner Stakes. The incident occurred when Velazquez's mount, Up an Octave (Brahms), broke down and fell less than a sixteenth of a mile after winning the $110,600 turf event for 3-year-olds.
A field of nine will try the Churchill Downs turf Friday in the $100,000 Crown Royal American Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT), the race immediately preceding the headliner on the day, the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Prince Arch came from off the pace rallying down the center of the course seven wide to take Thursday's $111,100 Forerunner Stakes at Keeneland.
Thursday's $100,000-added Forerunner drew a competitive group of nine 3-year-old colts and geldings who are scheduled compete over Keeneland's nine-furlong Haggin turf course.
Californian made his first start in North America a memorable one by pulling away in the stretch under jockey Kent Desormeaux to win Thursday's $111,200 Forerunner Stakes at Keeneland by 3 1/4 lengths.
The $100,000 Forerunner Stakes at Keeneland Wednesday showcases a field of 3-year-old colts and geldings running nine furlongs on the turf.
Kalu, a 3-year-old son of Honor Grades, dueled for the lead throughout the $100,000 LG&E Energy Forerunner Stakes, but dug in in the stretch to win Friday's feature at Keeneland by 1 3/4 lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out