This year there is only one January foal in the Derby: Watch Me Go. Two of the contenders, Twice the Appeal and Mucho Macho Man won't actually be 3 until after the Run for the Roses.
Three Kentucky Derby contenders will be a few days shy of their actual third birthday prior to the First Saturday in May.
On Monday, did anybody wish Derby contender Seaside Retreat happy birthday? Someone should have, because May 1 was his foaling date. While all horses foaled in the Northern Hemisphere have the universal birth date of Jan. 1 as their official age of racing, not all of this year's contenders are actually 3-year-olds.
If Empire Maker is to win the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), he'll be bucking 52 years of history. This fact and more stats on the First Saturday in May...
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates
- Pompa, Brown Connect on Dirt in Pa. Derby
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Fasig-Tipton October Catalog Available
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby