Zenyatta, the 2010 Horse of the Year, produced her second foal April 1, Team Zenyatta confirmed via Twitter.
Download this feature with enhanced media on foaling. Download Feature
- By Claire Novak
It Is foaling season at Edition Farm, and in the deeply straw-bedded stalls of a cozy barn, the miracle of new life occurs. As a mare stretches around to greet her newborn foal, 80-year-old Vivien Malloy is there. Download Now
Rachel Alexandra is in serious condition after undergoing surgery Feb. 13 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital to repair an area in her small colon that was injured during foaling, according to owner Barbara Banke.
First foals of graded stakes winners and a few extra treats sent to us by farms. view slideshow
Blood-Horse editorial intern Kelsey Riley blogs about her experiences while delivering foals at a major Central Kentucky Thoroughbred farm. Read Blog
With the breeding and foaling seasons nearing conclusion, The Jockey Club reminds owners and breeders to submit reports of mares bred and live foal reports.
Veterinarians with Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington have put out a call for colostrum donations because its supply has dwindled in the midst of foaling season.
As a follow up to a rule revision last August that added provisions for field inspections, The Jockey Club sent two teams of representatives to farms in six states in December to examine broodmares with early 2005 breeding or 2006 foaling dates.
If your foal is orphaned at birth, or rejected by his dam, your first consideration is to get him to ingest some colostrum.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online