Reigning Eclipse champions Ramon Dominquez and Todd Pletcher once again dominated The New York Racing Association circuit in 2011.
Jockey Javier Castellano won his first riding title since 2007 on the New York Racing Association circuit when he edged Ramon Dominguez by two victories at the conclusion of Belmont Park's fall meet.
The Fasig-Tipton Kentucky fall yearling sale's reputation has improved dramatically in recent years.
Flying Zee Stables' Street Game set an easy pace and never looked back, crushing a good field of 3-year-old turf milers in the $100,000 Hill Prince (gr. IIIT) June 18 at Belmont Park.
Flying Zee Stable's 7-year-old Cosmonaut has been retired following a successful career, in which the son of Lemon Drop Kid-Cosmic Fire, by Capote, won eight of 36 starts for earnings of nearly $1.4 million.
Attendance dipped slightly and overall handle was also off for the 36-day season at Saratoga Race Course that ended Sept. 5.
Golden Commander swung to the outside for room in the upper stretch and closed steadily in the final sixteenth of a mile to win the $114,700 West Point Handicap for New York breds on turf at Saratoga Race Course on Sunday.
Western Expression, who stands for $10,000 at Highcliff Farm near Delanson, N.Y., was represented by his first winner when his son Winning Expression won May 6 at Belmont Park.
Leading New York owner Carl Lizza hoped to broaden the scope of his mostly homebred racing stable by buying a large number of yearlings in 2001. His hopes perished in a late-afternoon barn fire Feb. 23 that killed 22 horses in training at Mike O'Farrell's Ocala Stud in Florida.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Rosie Napravnik Announces Retirement
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Untapable Powers to Breeders' Cup Distaff Win
- Tapit Shatters Single-Season Earnings Mark
- Goldencents Posts Repeat in Dirt Mile
- Hootenanny Rallies to Win Juvenile Turf
- Lady Eli Sharp in Juvenile Fillies Turf
- Bob Neumeier Hospitalized After a Stroke
- Slideshow: 2014 Breeders' Cup Day 1
- BC Day One: Attendance Up, Wagering Down