Indian Blessing was rewarded for an impressive 2007 campaign that included three victories in as many starts by winning the Eclipse Award for 2-Year-Old Filly Jan. 21 at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif.
Unbridled Slew, a California-bred 2-year-old colt, recorded the fastest eighth of a mile in Barretts May Sale history when he breezed the distance in 9 3/5 seconds Thursday at Fairplex Park.
Captain Squire, who won the Ancient Title (gr. I) two starts back, heads a small field entered for Saturday's Vernon O. Underwood Stakes (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
The 6-year-old gelding Captain Squire capped his surprising comeback from knee surgery Saturday when he collected his first grade I win in the $236,000 Ancient Title Breeders' Cup (gr. I) at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting.
Grade II winner Captain Squire has been sidelined with bone chips in one knee and will probably be retired, co-owner Robert Bone confirmed Sept. 22.
While trainer Jeff Mullins concentrates on preparing Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Buddy Gil for his next start on the first Saturday in May, two of his other standouts, Captain Squire and Lusty Latin, will get a brief freshening.
Shameful swept past the tiring leaders in mid stretch and then held off Wild Tickle to post a one-length victory Wednesday in the $78,650 Pine Tree Lane Stakes for fillies and mares at Santa Anita Park.
After Captain Squire scored a 5 1/2-length victory in Saturday's $250,000 FedEx Sunshine Millions Sprint at Santa Anita in a blistering time of 1:08.15, trainer Jeff Mullins left little doubt on what's on his mind later this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Big Macher Collects Grade I Bing Crosby Win
- Antipathy Convincing Winner in Muddy Shuvee
- Tonalist, Kid Cruz Exit Jim Dandy Well
- Valid Breaks Through With Monmouth Cup Win
- Guys Reward Finds Path to Oceanport Tally
- Starstruck Back to Winning Ways in Matchmaker
- Del Mar Shifting Turf Races After Breakdowns
- Ageless Equals Course Record in Royal North
- Majestic River Rolls to Molly Pitcher Win