This is the third in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. While Bob Baffert is taking his time sorting out his Derby contenders, his former assistant Eoin Harty bids farewell to his top stars. This week, we'll focus on the "new" Godolphin stable.
The knock on Cuvee is that he has a sprint pedigree, but so far, the longer the distance for the standout chestnut colt, the bigger his margin of victory. The Verne Winchell-bred Carson City colt drew off to win Sunday's $200,000 Belmont Futurity (gr.I) for 2-year-olds by 8 1/4 lengths.
Todd Pletcher's powerful barn will be in early evidence during the Saratoga season when he saddles a pair of favorites, Chapel Royal and Heckle, in Thursday's $150,000 Sanford Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-olds.
Trainer Eoin Harty, who has the favorite, Ruler's Court, in Saturday's Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III), is off to his best North American start for Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum.
Darley Stud Management Inc.'s Ruler's Court, one of several promising juvenile winners for trainer Eoin Harty, will likely make his stakes debut in the $100,000 Hollywood Juvenile Championship Stakes (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
The internationally renowned royal blue silks of Godolphin Stable will be seen on a frequent basis at Hollywood Park beginning next week, trainer Eoin Harty reported Friday from his training base at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Louisiana Bills to Reduce Dates, Slots Money
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014
- Gulfstream Uses Graded Stakes Testing Fund