Saying the current withdrawal time on the books for flunixin (Banamine) could leave New York horsemen and veterinarians vulnerable to positive tests, the NYTHA is recommending extending the time by an additional eight hours.
The Racing Medication and Testing Consortium board of directors took several actions March 17 intended to further the process toward the nationwide adoption of uniform medication rules, penalties, and testing.
A Jan. 30 meeting of racing stakeholders in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions showed how difficult it can be to achieve uniformity, even with the best intentions or most basic of regulations.
New York state regulators have imposed a 20-day suspension and $7,500 fine on top Aqueduct Racetrack trainer Rudy Rodriguez after flunixin was found in his horses at two separate races last year.
Lower thresholds for the pain reliever phenylbutazone, commonly known as Bute, in post-race tests of horses could be on the way in California in spite of objections from horsemen.
A spokeswoman for the New York State Racing and Wagering Board said Tuesday that a blood sample taken from a horse trained by Michael Dickinson was not lost but that there was an insufficient amount of the sample to be sent for independent testing.
Trainer Michael Dickinson said he is surprised that one of his horses, Lofty Call, tested positive for Flunixin at Belmont Park last summer, and that the stewards in the case "were fair and understanding."
The New York Racing Association issued a one-week suspension against trainer Michael Dickinson for the finding of flunixin in the post-race test of Lofty Call last summer.
Most Popular Stories
- Heir Kitty Set for Return in Great Lady M
- Equine Infections Disease Outbreak Response 101
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty
- Hialeah Sees New Thoroughbred Opportunity
- Princess of Sylmar Seeks Del 'Cap Rebound
- Panel: Change in Culture Needed in Racing
- Sky Lantern Takes Second Crack at Falmouth
- Boisterous Holds Class Edge in Bowling Green