After months of wrangling, Magna Entertainment Corporation and the Florida horseman agreed Friday evening to the percentage of slots revenue that will increase horseracing purses at Gulfstream Park.
Fred Havenick, who spearheaded the campaign to bring slot machines to pari-mutuels in South Florida, died Wednesday of lymphoma. He was 62.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick - On Dec. 9, Jeb Bush said he reluctantly would sign legislation authorizing slot machines at four Broward County pari-mutuel operations, including Gulfstream Park in Hallandale. The gambling machines were approved by a 57-43 margin of Broward County voters in a referendum in March.
Regulation of slot machines in Broward County, Fla. may be headed to the appellate court following a lower court ruling favorable to pari-mutuel operators.
Most Popular Stories
- Honor Code: A.P. Indy's Last Derby Hope
- Moment of the Year Voting Now Open
- Novak at the Track: Road to Derby Retrospect
- After Market Purchased to Stand in Turkey
- Castellano Sets North American Earnings Mark
- Turfway to Increase Stakes, Allowance Purses
- TimeformUS: Saturday Plays
- Barretts January Sale Catalog Now Online
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity