After months of wrangling, Magna Entertainment Corporation and the Florida horseman agreed Friday evening to the percentage of slots revenue that will increase horseracing purses at Gulfstream Park.
Fred Havenick, who spearheaded the campaign to bring slot machines to pari-mutuels in South Florida, died Wednesday of lymphoma. He was 62.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick - On Dec. 9, Jeb Bush said he reluctantly would sign legislation authorizing slot machines at four Broward County pari-mutuel operations, including Gulfstream Park in Hallandale. The gambling machines were approved by a 57-43 margin of Broward County voters in a referendum in March.
Regulation of slot machines in Broward County, Fla. may be headed to the appellate court following a lower court ruling favorable to pari-mutuel operators.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- NY Investigation of Asmussen Case Completed
- NYRA Unveils 10-Race Claiming Series
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages
- National HBPA Sets Convention Agenda
- Racing Investigators to Meet in NJ in March
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- TCA to Present Awards of Merit
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother