A nostril separated the top two finishers in Saturday's $259,500 Susan's Girl Stakes, the second leg of the Florida Sire Stakes series' filly division at Gulfstream Park, and it was a 41-1 long shot that got the nod.
Sing Praises darted from the starting gate to grab an uncontested early lead en route to victory in the $100,000 Dr. Fager Stakes, giving trainer Stanley Gold and Jacks or Better Farm a sweep of both Florida Sire Stakes.
Florida's biggest series of 2-year-old races moves to Gulfstream Park Aug. 9 when the track holds the first two races in the newly renamed Florida Sire Stakes series.
Gulfstream Park has released its stakes schedule for July through early October, including seven races that are substitutes for stakes that had been scheduled for Calder Casino & Race Course's Summit of Speed on July 5.
Gulfstream Park's spring/summer meet, which starts April 11, will feature a robust 2-year-old program highlighted by the $1.4 million Florida Sire Stakes series.
Calder Casino & Race Course will reduce its number of stalls for 2-year-olds to about 150 this year, compared with about 500 in 2013 and other recent years.
Calder Casino & Race Course had been host of premier state-bred juvenile racing program for 32 years.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Two Dates Added to Upcoming Santa Anita Meet
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Slideshow: Game On Dude
- Coltimus Prime Versus Ami's Holiday Again
- Muhtafal Retired from Stud in South Africa
- Former BH Librarian Theresa Fitzgerald Dies
- TimeformUS: The G2 Pennsylvania Derby
- TVG Sweepstakes Offers Melbourne Cup Trip