Hialeah Park owner John Brunetti remains determined to bring Thoroughbreds back to his famous racetrack in Hialeah, Fla., and is hoping to stage a comeback with his one-time nemesis Gulfstream Park.
About 100 representatives of the southeast Florida horse industry took their "Horse Racing Keeps Florida Running!" message to an Oct. 23 public workshop on possible changes in pari-mutuel and gaming laws.
Calder Casino & Race Course and the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association on May 26 agreed to an extension until June 1 on talks for an Advance Deposit Wagering agreement.
Calder Casino & Race Course is preparing to open its eight-month racing season on April 25 with its purse contract and all other racing contracts and calendars in place.
Reports that Churchill Downs Inc. and the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association are stalled in talks on a Calder Race Course slot machine contract are leading to concerns about possible cancellation of two contracts between CDI and the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association.
Gulfstream Park president and general manager Scott Savin announced Monday a purse hike of $10,000 for each overnight race that closes with nine or more entries for the Florida Derby weekend, April 1-2.
Negotiations between the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association and Magna Entertainment Corp. over a split of slot revenue from Gulfstream Park broke down when FHBPA representatives walked away from the talks.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Jockey Court Eyes Return to Race Riding
- Gross, Average Decline at Keeneland Sale
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win
- Kaldera Up in Time in German St. Leger
- After the Wire: Pennsylvania Derby
- Untapable Unstoppable in Grade I Cotillion
- Miss Behaviour Romps in Charles Town Oaks
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby