About 100 representatives of the southeast Florida horse industry took their "Horse Racing Keeps Florida Running!" message to an Oct. 23 public workshop on possible changes in pari-mutuel and gaming laws.
Calder Casino & Race Course and the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association on May 26 agreed to an extension until June 1 on talks for an Advance Deposit Wagering agreement.
Calder Casino & Race Course is preparing to open its eight-month racing season on April 25 with its purse contract and all other racing contracts and calendars in place.
Reports that Churchill Downs Inc. and the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders' and Owners' Association are stalled in talks on a Calder Race Course slot machine contract are leading to concerns about possible cancellation of two contracts between CDI and the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association.
Gulfstream Park president and general manager Scott Savin announced Monday a purse hike of $10,000 for each overnight race that closes with nine or more entries for the Florida Derby weekend, April 1-2.
Negotiations between the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association and Magna Entertainment Corp. over a split of slot revenue from Gulfstream Park broke down when FHBPA representatives walked away from the talks.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident