A record-high $2.5 million stakes program for the 2006-2007 meet at Tampa Bay Downs features purse increases for five of 26 stakes races, including the track's key Kentucky Derby prep races, the Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) and Sam F. Davis Stakes.
Million-dollar winner Silver Tree, out of the barn of Bill Mott, will join top Florida-bred runners in Tampa Bay Downs' Florida Cup Day card on Saturday, a series of six $75,000 stakes on turf and dirt.
Tampa Bay Downs racing is growing in popularity as evidenced by a 22% increase in total handle during the 93-day that ended May 4. Total handle of $237,158,919 was up about $44 million from the 2001-2002 season.
Most Popular Stories
- Ramseys, Brown, Castellano Top Penn Standings
- Suffolk Downs Adds Race Day for Tribute
- Slideshow: Kelso: 5 Time HOY 50th Anniversary
- Slideshow: Progeny of Lemon Drop Kid
- Successful Owner/Breeder Aaron Jones Dies
- McEvoy Steps Down as Godolphin Jockey
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win
- Goldencents to Remain in California
- Indiana Immediately Suspends Two Licensees