A record-high $2.5 million stakes program for the 2006-2007 meet at Tampa Bay Downs features purse increases for five of 26 stakes races, including the track's key Kentucky Derby prep races, the Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) and Sam F. Davis Stakes.
Million-dollar winner Silver Tree, out of the barn of Bill Mott, will join top Florida-bred runners in Tampa Bay Downs' Florida Cup Day card on Saturday, a series of six $75,000 stakes on turf and dirt.
Tampa Bay Downs racing is growing in popularity as evidenced by a 22% increase in total handle during the 93-day that ended May 4. Total handle of $237,158,919 was up about $44 million from the 2001-2002 season.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- Crawdaddy Two-For-Two After NYSS Score
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Satono Crown Surges to Victory in Takarazuka Kinen