A record-high $2.5 million stakes program for the 2006-2007 meet at Tampa Bay Downs features purse increases for five of 26 stakes races, including the track's key Kentucky Derby prep races, the Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) and Sam F. Davis Stakes.
Million-dollar winner Silver Tree, out of the barn of Bill Mott, will join top Florida-bred runners in Tampa Bay Downs' Florida Cup Day card on Saturday, a series of six $75,000 stakes on turf and dirt.
Tampa Bay Downs racing is growing in popularity as evidenced by a 22% increase in total handle during the 93-day that ended May 4. Total handle of $237,158,919 was up about $44 million from the 2001-2002 season.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Del Mar Makes Adjustment to Slow Polytrack
- Perfect at Spa, Sweet Reason Ready for Test
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Trainer Joshua Stein Wins in Debut at Sonoma
- Clement Hirsch: Iotapa After BC Distaff Slot
- CDI Reports Record Second Quarter Revenues
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- New York-Bred Palace At Home In Vanderbilt
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares