A record-high $2.5 million stakes program for the 2006-2007 meet at Tampa Bay Downs features purse increases for five of 26 stakes races, including the track's key Kentucky Derby prep races, the Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) and Sam F. Davis Stakes.
Million-dollar winner Silver Tree, out of the barn of Bill Mott, will join top Florida-bred runners in Tampa Bay Downs' Florida Cup Day card on Saturday, a series of six $75,000 stakes on turf and dirt.
Tampa Bay Downs racing is growing in popularity as evidenced by a 22% increase in total handle during the 93-day that ended May 4. Total handle of $237,158,919 was up about $44 million from the 2001-2002 season.
Most Popular Stories
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Freshman Flashpoint Gets His First Winner
- Maker a Triple Threat in AP Classic