Jacks or Better Farm's homebred 3-year-old colt Fellowship, who has a pair of third-place finishes in grade II stakes this year, hopes to improve on that in the $1 million Xpressbet.com Florida Derby (gr. I) April 2.
Florida's biggest series of 2-year-old races moves to Gulfstream Park Aug. 9 when the track holds the first two races in the newly renamed Florida Sire Stakes series.
Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Mucho Macho Man will return to competition in 2014 with a goal of defending his title in the $5 million race he won Nov. 2 at Santa Anita Park, according to his connections.
Gulfstream Park's $75,000 Shotintheheart Handicap Feb. 14 will be the first of as many as four Florida-bred stakes it will add this season.
The $250,000 Aventura Stakes for 3-year-olds is chock full of Florida-based and Florida-bred horses. All eight entrants made their last start in the Sunshine State, and six of the eight were bred within the state's boundaries.
Calder Race Course will host the inaugural Florida Million on Nov. 16. Of the day's 12 live races, six added-money races offer $1 million in purses to Florida-bred horses in six divisions.
The program, which rewards state-breds, was implemented this year at Calder Race Course
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Begins Work for Pennsylvania Derby
- Cavorting on Top in Personal Ensign
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Dialed In Colt Reckling Graduates at Saratoga
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Woodward Up Next for Frosted
- First Winners for Crossbow, Gattopardo
- 'Bart' Wins Australia's First GI of Season
- Lady Eli's Miracle Comeback Looms
- Del Mar to Cut Race Dates, Open Later in 2017