Jacks or Better Farm's homebred 3-year-old colt Fellowship, who has a pair of third-place finishes in grade II stakes this year, hopes to improve on that in the $1 million Xpressbet.com Florida Derby (gr. I) April 2.
Florida's biggest series of 2-year-old races moves to Gulfstream Park Aug. 9 when the track holds the first two races in the newly renamed Florida Sire Stakes series.
Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Mucho Macho Man will return to competition in 2014 with a goal of defending his title in the $5 million race he won Nov. 2 at Santa Anita Park, according to his connections.
Gulfstream Park's $75,000 Shotintheheart Handicap Feb. 14 will be the first of as many as four Florida-bred stakes it will add this season.
The $250,000 Aventura Stakes for 3-year-olds is chock full of Florida-based and Florida-bred horses. All eight entrants made their last start in the Sunshine State, and six of the eight were bred within the state's boundaries.
Calder Race Course will host the inaugural Florida Million on Nov. 16. Of the day's 12 live races, six added-money races offer $1 million in purses to Florida-bred horses in six divisions.
The program, which rewards state-breds, was implemented this year at Calder Race Course
Most Popular Stories
- Chuck Borell Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Legends: Charlie Whittingham, the Bald Eagle
- Red Rifle Aims to Repeat in Dominion Day
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Morris to Ride Mongolian Saturday in July Cup
- TAA Ready to Assist With Abandoned Horses
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Zenyatta Bottle to Benefit Old Friends