Voters in Miami-Dade County, Fla., approved slot machines for Calder Race Course and the county's two other pari-mutuel facilities in a Jan. 29 referendum. They passed the ballot issue by a 63%-37% margin--a decisive victory in a race many observers expected would be close.
Calder Race Course president Ken Dunn expects "a tough race" during the last days before Miami-Dade County's Jan. 29 vote on slot machines for Calder and two other pari-mutuel facilities.
Calder Race Course and Flagler Dog Track and Sports Entertainment Center,have initiated a formal request before a committee of the Miami-Dade County Commission for a referendum for voters to consider the inclusion of slot machines at the three existing pari-mutuel facilities in Miami-Dade County.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Kentucky Rescinds Dextrophan Positives