Voters in Miami-Dade County, Fla., approved slot machines for Calder Race Course and the county's two other pari-mutuel facilities in a Jan. 29 referendum. They passed the ballot issue by a 63%-37% margin--a decisive victory in a race many observers expected would be close.
Calder Race Course president Ken Dunn expects "a tough race" during the last days before Miami-Dade County's Jan. 29 vote on slot machines for Calder and two other pari-mutuel facilities.
Calder Race Course and Flagler Dog Track and Sports Entertainment Center,have initiated a formal request before a committee of the Miami-Dade County Commission for a referendum for voters to consider the inclusion of slot machines at the three existing pari-mutuel facilities in Miami-Dade County.
Most Popular Stories
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Draws Doom U.S. Hopes in HK Jockey Challenge
- Partners to Build Racetrack Casino in Calgary
- Bad Debt, Philly Ace Tropical Turf Topweights
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Immortal Verse Sells for European Record
- Steep Wagering Decline at Churchill Fall Meet