The Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) Oct. 5 looked to be a matchup between Five Iron and Charming Kitten but California shipper Kid Dreams upset the pair in the 1 1/8-mile turf test.
Admiral Kitten will take on familiar foes Stormy Len, Jack Milton, and War Dancer when he aims for his second grade I win in the $500,000 Jamaica Handicap Oct. 5 at Belmont Park.
Well-traveled Charming Kitten drew the far outside post in a field of 10 sophomores as the 7-2 morning-line favorite in the $200,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) on the turf Oct. 5 in Illinois.
Fred Allor's homebred Five Iron scored a third straight front-running victory Sept. 1, this time nailing down the first graded stakes win of his career in the $150,000 Saranac Stakes (gr. III) at Saratoga Race Course.
Five Iron took command out of the gate and would not be denied a front-running victory by 1 1/4 lengths in the $150,709 Victoria Park Stakes for 3-year-olds June 16 at Woodbine.
Favored Up With the Birds, tuning up for the Queen's Plate in six weeks, romped to victory over open company in the $163,681 Marine Stakes May 26 at Woodbine.
Undefeated in four starts at Woodbine this year including three stakes scores, Uncaptured is a clear standout against six juvenile opponents for the $200,000 Grey Stakes (Can-III) at the Toronto track Oct. 7.
Most Popular Stories
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes