Lankan Rupee, the world's highest-rated sprinter, was recently named Australia's Horse of the Year for the 2013-14 season.
Five fillies, led in by winner Mossfun, dominated the finish of the Toohey's New Golden Slipper Stakes (Aus-I), the world's richest 2-year-old race, April 5 at Rosehill Gardens.
Shamus Award tried for the seemingly impossible in the Aus$1million Australian Cup (Aus-I) March 8 at Flemington. He led nearly all the way, but then wilted late as Fiorente proved himself the nation's best horse.
Gai Waterhouse, Australia's first lady of racing, enjoyed her first victory in the nation's most famous race when Fiorente took the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) from Red Cadeaux in a thriller at Flemington Nov. 5.
Front-running maiden Shamus Award and apprentice jockey Chad Schofield stole Australia's weight-for-age championship in scintillating style Oct. 26 at Moonee Valley.
Trainer Chris Waller notched a third group I win this season when Boban stormed on the outside from the back of the field to edge favorite Streama in the Star Epsom (Aus-I) Oct. 5 at Royal Randwick.
Roger Elliot, foreman for Gai Waterhouse, talks about the barn prospects for Turnbull Stakes Day. watch video
Australian racing has a new sweetheart. Atlantic Jewel made a smashing return from injury Aug. 30 at Caulfield and easily won the New Zealand Bloodstock Memsie Stakes (Aus-I) to remain undefeated.
Green Moon upstaged the two most recent winners of the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) when he captured this year's edition of "the race that stops a nation" Nov. 6 at Flemington Racecourse.
Most Popular Stories
- Longform: Long Live the Queen
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Sire Tapit Closing in on Record Season
- Aktabantay Out of BC Juvenile Turf
- Northern Cal Trainers On Cup's Center Stage
- Santa Anita Confident in New Dirt Surface
- Frat Brothers Team Up on Lawn Ranger
- Arvizu, Others Recognized by Chaplaincy
- Asmussen Aims to Make Untapable Feel at Home
- Baffert Hopes Luck Turns with One Lucky Dane