Eight-year-old Musketier showed no signs of rust coming back from a more than six-month layoff, as he took over approaching the stretch and bounded home for a win in the Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIT) on closing day at Keeneland.
High-weighted Expansion and an interesting mix of veterans, including Brass Hat and Ascertain, headline a field of 12 in Keeneland's April 23 closing day feature, the $200,000 Fifth Third Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIT).
Ascertain outlasted fast-closing Always First by a diminishing neck to win the $200,000 Fifth Third Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIIT) Friday as Keeneland closed its 15-day spring meeting.
Pellegrino, a grade I winner overlooked at odds of 24-1, took the lead with less than an eighth of a mile remaining and gamely held off two challengers to win the $200,000 Fifth Third Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIIT) Friday, the final day of Keeneland's spring meeting.
Irish-bred Macaw drew in from the also-eligible list for Keeneland's Fifth Third Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIIT) with the scratch of morning line favorite Magistretti, then looped the entire field to win Friday's $200,000 closing-day feature by 2 1/2 lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Alert Bay Wins Mathis Brothers Mile Thriller
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Six Grade I Races Set for Belmont Stakes Day
- Salutos Amigos Adds Gravesend Stakes Victory
- New York Stallion Series On Tap at Aqueduct