Jockey Rafael Bejarano was back in the saddle April 2, just 21 days after sustaining compressed fractures to his T-5 and T-6 vertebrae in a Santa Anita spill.
Jockey Rafael Bejarano, the leading rider during Santa Anita's current meet, sustained compressed fractures to the T-5 and T-6 vertebra in a March 13 spill and has been replaced by Michael Baze as the rider for George Schwary's 3-year-old Georgie Boy in the March 15 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II).
Jockeys Rafael Bejarano and Julien Leparoux, currently among the top 12 riders in the nation by purses won this year, will move their tack to Southern California this winter, both riders' agents said Nov. 9.
Whether you're from Providence, Boston, New York City, or destinations beyond and between, Saratoga is the summer place to be.
Jockey Rafael Bejarano, sidelined since Aug. 25 with rib injuries incurred at Saratoga Race Course, will return to riding at Turfway Park in Florence, Ky. on Wednesday, Sept. 27, or Thursday, Sept. 28, in time for the Sept. 30 Kentucky Cup series.
Harry V. Quadracci's Silver Tornado remained undefeated after posting a 1 1/4-length victory in Saturday's $100,000 Reeve Schley Jr., Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park.
Batique employed a front-running style to earn her first stakes win, leading from wire-to-wire to win Saturday's Vinery Matchmaker Handicap (gr. IIIT) by 2 1/2 lengths at Monmouth Park. The 5-year-old mare completed the 1 1/8 miles in course-record time of 1:46.19.
Nine 2-year-old fillies were entered in the $200,000 Spinaway Stakes (gr. I), but Eugene and Laura Melnyk's Harmony Lodge will skip Friday's Saratoga feature.
Rize, the starting lightweight at 112 pounds, drew off through the Monmouth Park stretch to a nine-length win in the $350,000 Philip H. Iselin Handicap (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out