Just missing in the Arlington Matron Handicap (gr. III) a month ago, WinStar Farm's Leah's Secret was not to be denied this time around.
Trainer Todd Pletcher will saddle a trio of runners, Leah's Secret, Mini Sermon, and Featherbed, for the Chicago Handicap (gr. III), going seven furlongs June 28 at Arlington Park.
Odds-on choice Sugar Swirl completed an unprecedented sweep of Gulfstream Park's sprint series for fillies and mares with yet another dazzling win for trainer Brian Lynch in the $170,000 Shirley Jones Handicap (gr. II) on March 29.
Sugar Swirl remains a heavy favorite in the rescheduled $200,000 Shirley Jones Handicap (gr. II), which Gulfstream Park had to cancel last weekend due to a day-long rain deluge. But her job could be a little tougher March 29.
A pair of fast developing 3-year-old filly sprinters, Graeme Six and Featherbed, could vie for favoritism among a wide open field of 13 sophomores entered in the $100,000 Victory Ride (gr. III) at Saratoga Aug. 25.
Working 14 horses in one morning is a major load for any trainer, but Todd Pletcher took that to another level Sunday when he put 14 Breeders' Cup horses through their paces with most of them turning in almost identical drills with machine-like precision.
Willow Rock Stable's 2-year-old filly Meadow Breeze, making her graded stakes debut, came up with the biggest effort of her young career Saturday to win the 100th running of the $250,000 Matron (gr. I) at Belmont Park by a head at odds of 34-1.
Nearly one out of every four winners of Belmont Park's Matron (gr. I) has been crowned 2-year-old filly champion, and the six juvenile fillies head postward Saturday in hope to keep that tradition alive.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses