Mister Acpen was able to control the pace under jockey Roberto Gonzalez and surprised 3-2 favorite Fateful Dream and grass course specialist Ninebanks with an easy gate-to-wire triumph in Saturday's $142,500 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Two grade I winners whose connections are hoping for bigger things this fall, Gary Tanaka's Sarafan and The Thoroughbred Corp.'s Johar hooked up in the $75,675 Harry F. Brubaker Handicap, which started with just three horses at Del Mar Friday.
There could be a traffic jam on the lead in Sunday's $400,000 Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) at Del Mar, with a field of six speedy horses likely to gun for the front in order to get the best position.
Kachamandi took advantage of a solid pace and a perfectly-timed ride by Patrick Valenzuela to score a length victory in the featured Harry F. Brubaker Handicap at Del Mar Friday.
Special Ring changed tactics and broke a Del Mar track record in winning the $75,000 Wickerr Handicap at one mile on the turf Friday evening.
Edmund A. Gann's Fateful Dream raced in last place behind moderate fractions before rallying in the stretch to win the $107,100 Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a length over National Anthem on Saturday at Hollywood Park. Under David Flores, Fateful Dream completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:41.65 on a firm turf course.
A field of 11 older turf runners have entered for Saturday's 42nd running of the Frank E. Kilroe Mile on the Camino Real turf course. Formerly run as the Arcadia Handicap, the race was renamed in 2001 to honor longtime Southern California racing secretary 'Jimmy' Kilroe.
Most Popular Stories
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- NJ-Bred Chublicious Captures Mr. Prospector
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup
- Marialite Upsets Favorites at Hanshin
- Sheer Drama On Fence for 'Summit of Speed'
- Minding Coasts Clear in Pretty Polly
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another