While several buyers and consignors noted that it seemed difficult to guess where upper-end prices will fall at the July 15 Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July yearling sale, here's six they figure to be keeping a close eye on.
Winchell Thoroughbreds, which has had success with offspring of the stallion Tapit, purchased one of his fillies for $300,000 during the July 12 Fasig-Tipton July yearling sale in Lexington.
Terence Collier, Fasig-Tipton director of marketing, reported that all 22 yearlings tested for exogenous levels of anabolic steroids at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July yearling sale, tested negative for the substances.
The 2008 Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July yearling sale marked the first sale in which the auction company offered buyers the opportunity to have their horses tested for exogenous anabolic steroids.
Despite registering across the board declines, the results of the 2008 Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July yearling sale, held July 14-15 at the sale company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington, did not overly disappoint sale company officials.
It's always of note when a Horse of the Year's first crop comes to market. But it's even more significant this year when it's 2005 Horse of Year Saint Liam's only crop.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- In a reversal of form, Fasig-Tipton Kentucky had the greatest momentum and Keeneland sustained a downturn during the 2002 summer yearling sales.
- By Dan Liebman
By Dan Liebman -- The Keeneland summer sale needs to be adjusted. It needs to be tweaked. Revamped. Changed. It absolutely does not need to be abandoned, as some have suggested.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs