Well over 200 people--horsemen, fans, and racetrack regulars--gathered April 20 at Santa Anita Park to remember trainer Mike Mitchell, who died at the age of 66 April 14 after a lengthy battle with brain cancer.
From the time he was a youngster, trainer Gary Jones said winning the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) was his family's biggest quest.
Retired trainer Farrell W. Jones, eighth in career victories at Hollywood Park with 479, visited the track for the first time in 25 years Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Firenze Fire Upsets Sanford Stakes
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Twisted Tom Muscles His Way to New York Derby Score
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing, Tapwrit Work at Spa
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Hunt Overcomes Trouble to Win Eddie Read
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping