Well over 200 people--horsemen, fans, and racetrack regulars--gathered April 20 at Santa Anita Park to remember trainer Mike Mitchell, who died at the age of 66 April 14 after a lengthy battle with brain cancer.
From the time he was a youngster, trainer Gary Jones said winning the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) was his family's biggest quest.
Retired trainer Farrell W. Jones, eighth in career victories at Hollywood Park with 479, visited the track for the first time in 25 years Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Industry Teams to Help Parkinson's Research
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Gainesway's Tapizar Has First Winner
- Champs Meet Again in Nassau
- Pegasus World Cup: A Jolt of Reality